www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from _crankymonkey. Make your own badge here.

 


Locations of visitors to this page

HORMONE HEADACHES = KRYPTONITE!

Friday, September 22, 2006

I left work early yesterday attacked by a villainous headache. I stopped by my doctor's office and asked for assistance. I don't think they took me seriously since they offered an over the counter cure. Maybe that's what I get for not making an official appointment =P.

Desperate for relief I started to self-diagnose on the drive home. I thought possibly, the headache was related to chronic back pains. I called a local chiropractor while still driving and set an appointment for 20 minutes later, just enough to reroute and drive to their office. The doctor was nice, the therapy was soothing and the adjustment gave my back relief, but not my head. I was still weak and helpless. I got home right as the tornado sirens went off. Surprisingly I managed to crash in bed and sleep through it.

Last night, armed with the philosophy of "As long as I act fine, I am fine," I set off to Ray's house ready to help him with his take home mid-term exam. Still proving weak, helpless and now worthless, I was instructed to lay down. No arguments, I was happy to oblige. I was woken up around 8ish, to severe stomach pains. What is happening to me?

As I type, the throbbing sensation in my head has subsided and being replaced with a dizzying effect, and my stomach is unsettlingly unsettled. I am a walking wreck! But I dare not claim defeat - no, not me. I am up and researching, and here's what I've gathered so far. I am suffering from hormone headaches. Something my coworker has suggested and something, as I read from my previous blogs, that I've been experiencing since June. (One of those moments I can honestly say that journaling is beneficial.) And I quote from June 30, 2006 "Freakin' migraines, ugh!!!! My back hurts, ugh!!!! I'm dying!!!!"

So, before battling this foe I must first find out what it is, how it functions, and what weapon can kill it. Women of the world take note:


Symptoms of a Hormone Headache
The symptoms of a hormone headache are similar to migraine headaches. A hormone headache affects only one side of the head, and the pain is often described as throbbing. Hormone headache pain may cause nausea and vomiting, and is often aggravated by bright light and loud noises.


In my case my entire head hurt, though most of the pain occurred on the left side from my left temple to the back of my left eye. I did experience nausea at work, but did not vomit, though I did run to the women's for an episode of dry heaving.


Oral Contraceptives and Hormone Headaches
Use of oral contraceptives also alters estrogen levels and hormone headaches. One third of female migraine sufferers experience fewer migraines while taking oral contraceptives. For another third, hormone levels altered by oral contraceptives make their migraines worse.

The exact relationship between hormone headaches and oral contraceptive use is unclear. Women are more likely to experience their first migraine while taking oral contraceptives. .. For women using oral contraceptive, hormone headache frequency also rises during the "sugar pill" week when estrogen level changes.


I'm not a BC pill user myself, though I can speculate that the basic break down of Ortho-Evra (the patch) is fairly similar. So the onsets of the hormone headaches for me occur 2 to 3 days into my fourth week. So we can safely conclude that these headaches are estrogen related. Fantastic, now what?


Hormone Headache Treatment and Prevention
Triptans, a family of migraine medications, are often used in hormone headache treatment, and may fend off a hormone headache if taken early into headache onset. If hormone headaches are a predictable part of premenstrual syndrome and menstruation, triptans can be taken one to two days prior to expected headache onset. Over the counter NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be used in the five to seven days before a menstrual period, if recommended by a doctor. NSAIDs such as aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen decrease the frequency of hormone headaches and relieve some premenstrual syndrome symptoms, such as cramping.

One note of caution if using NSAIDs or triptans as preventives for hormone headaches: Overuse of these medications may lead to rebound headaches. Consult your doctor for the best hormone headache treatment, and follow dosage recommendations carefully.


My coworker who used to suffer from the same thing also recommended Relacore. I haven't gone to look for it myself. She told me that it was a weight loss medicine, but actually helped relieved her hormone headaches. My main concern with the Relacore alternative is that with my current weight I cannot afford to lose anymore pounds, but it might just be the miracle cure for you, so ask your doctor. Of course, always consult your doctor before taking any medications, self-prescribing is very dangerous, especially since we're dealing with the body's chemistry.

For right now, my only relief is the fact that I put on a new patch this morning. That ends it all. So hopefully around noontime I will get up from my nap as if I had been napping like Rip Van Winkle and not remember the whole ordeal.
posted by Jenni @ 8:53 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

MULTITASKER GIRL - EFFICIENTLY SAVING THE DAY

CLICK FOR COMPLETE PROFILE

  • Jenni@MultitaskerGirl.Com

  • Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    BLOGGER

    © 2006 MULTITASKER GIRL. Multitasker Girl has Online Stalkers.