www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from _crankymonkey. Make your own badge here.

 


Locations of visitors to this page

MULTITASKER GIRL IS HIGH MAINTENANCE (?)

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I have asked one of my coworkers to set me up with a friend or two. During our discussions (me talking and him pretending to listen,) he's managed to conclude that I am "high maintenance." Of course, he has since retracted that statement but it still makes me wonder. I keep hearing this term referred to me, and I'm not really sure why. English is a second language, and most words I've learned from the context in which it is used, asking someone, or looking it up. The context that the term is used in is almost always vague, and when I ask people about it I think they are too afraid to offend to really be honest, or maybe there is no clear definition, so I went ahead and took the liberties to look it up:

High maintenance
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

High maintenance[1] is a term which, according to the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, was popularized by When Harry Met Sally..., an American film released in 1989.

As a slang term, it may refer to individuals who require an unusual amount of personal attention or who expend substantial amounts of money or time on their physical appearance. It is not always disparaging, and some may describe themselves as high maintenance. The antonym is low maintenance.


Okay - 1) I don't require an unusual amount of personal attention. I only get attention that people lavish me with from the get go. I should not be faulted if the amount of attention I get (even when I don't ask for it) seems to be excessive. 2) I do not "expend" substantial amounts of money and/or time on my physical appearance. I was blessed to not have to. In fact, most days I don't even wear make-up, rarely do I spend time doing my hair, and the only reason I dress well is because I was raised in a fashion conscious household.

Just thought I would clear those things up. Now, I can be perceived as demanding, which I will take the blame for. I expect a lot of things from my friends, and will voice my expectations in a way that might make them seem like demands. For example, I expect my friends to carry themselves in a respectable, non-humiliating manner, when they are out in public with me. Fairly simple, I think.

Anyway, my coworker says he has prospects but he's been kind of dodgy in describing them. Makes me a little weary, but for now I put faith in him and hope that his judgement of character is not lacking. Wish me luck!
posted by Jenni @ 5:03 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wasn't gonna say "hi" but I know you're spying on my "IP" so hiding is futile, so Hi...hope you feel better and lower maintenance ;)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

MULTITASKER GIRL - EFFICIENTLY SAVING THE DAY

CLICK FOR COMPLETE PROFILE

  • Jenni@MultitaskerGirl.Com

  • Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    BLOGGER

    © 2006 MULTITASKER GIRL. Multitasker Girl has Online Stalkers.